Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Making Paper Stiff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:14 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

While I was working with a model I had to keep playing with it to get just the way I wanted it. In doing I made the paper un-stiff and soft. Now I want it stiff again. I'm trying a thin coat of glue and allow it to dry. Any other ideas? Thank you guys. wc

Post subject: Re: Making Paper Stiff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:21 pm 
FG Cutter

Superglue will work a treat, but be warned you should use it on the back side of the piece if possible, otherwise it will leave your ink looking shiny. I've only ever done it for very small parts though, sure wouldn't want to breathe CA fumes trying to coat a wing or fuse half or anything crazy like that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:27 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

If you can get to the backside of the part, I would apply a very light coat of glue there. You could water down some glue (2:1 glue to water) and then brush it on. That's a trick I learned for using tissue paper on balsa, so it should work with card stock.

Brush on super glue does indeed work, but really only for small pieces like landing gear legs and weapons pylons or propellors.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:09 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

It's for the tail on a Firecrest.60 lbs paper just can't be worked to much before it turns to rubber and then tears. I know this only to well. Thanks for the tip. I will cut out another Firecrest and go from there. If everI finish it I will post some photos. Thanks again. wc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:56 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Johan does call for light weight paper for his models. I'm currently trying to finish up 4 of his birds (cardinal, goldfinch, nuthatch, and bluebird) from his "book" kit, Easy paper birds. So far so good. I have the goldfinch done, just trying to figure out which style of base to do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:46 pm 
FG Origami Master

I have built all of those birds, the firecrest and multiple humming birds. The paper in his "book" is pretty light and easy to work with. I have printed out all of the birds (after scanning them) on Canon Matte Photo paper that I got at Wal Mart a few years ago. They say this is 6.5 mil, whatever that equates to, but it feels like about 40lb. It is a little heavier than good bond paper but it is definitely lighter than cover stock. I find that using paper that is to light is almost as hard to work with as stuff that is to heavy.

I have been building these for Christmas ornaments and have been making tubes with floral wire in them for the legs so I can attach them to the tree "naturally". For the humming birds I just poked a hole in their backs and glued a loop there so they could be hung normally.

Beard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:26 am 
Paper Model Overlord

PAPER-this is another subject I have problems with. I live in the SF Bay area and one would think that a area this huge should have everything a person could ask for. NO! I went looking for paper and all I could find is 65 lbs and 110 lbs paper. The nearest Wallmart is access the bay and a long ways from where I live on the coast. So I have to order it. So here goes my $64,000,000 dollar question. What is the normal weights of paper a modeler should have on hand? I close friend of mine can walk into the same chain of store I use here and they have tons of everything he need. I walk into the same chain here and they got nothing. He lives in Colorado out in the sticks. What ideas do you guys have? Thanks for all the great help. wc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:15 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

For probably 90% of all builds, I use either 67 (or 65) lb and 110 lb stock. I use the 65 on anything that is small in overall size (FG GeeBee/ Oddball Firebee drone, or bombs/ fuel drop tanks). I use the 110 lb for larger models, especially for fuselage sections and wing boxes on big planes. I try when possible to get the same type of card stock for both weights. I have had matching sets of Office Max brand, Nashua, Georgia Pacific, etc. My current stock is all from Neenah (got it at Office Max). Both the 110 and 67 are from their "Exact Index" lines of paper. I like to have matching paper in the different weights so I can mix and match for different parts of a model. I have used different types of paper before (exact bristol vs index) and the ink is absorbed a bit differently and the color richness is different. I'm not usually too picky, but when you print the same camo pattern on two different pieces of paper and they look many shades and levels of depth off, that's an issue for me.