Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How do I score paper?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:22 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

:D I am using a very light touch with a very fine exacto blade but how do I avoid getting the white paper showing when I fold the score? Do you color over the white with something? I thought of scoring it from the other side but on heavier paper I would need a very strong light table.
What does eveybody else do?
Thank you all ahead, Carol H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:35 pm 
FG Origami Master

Welcome to the forum site Carol.

If you have a knitting needle try using it to score the line with a ruler to guide the tip. Any rounded blunt tip that is fairly narrow to stay within the line will do to score those lines. The trouble with using an Xacto blade is you are actually cutting no matter how lightly you try to do it. As a result you will get a white line where the paper separates.

A Faber Castell Pitt pen, a fancy marker pen is what I use to edge color the parts of the kit where they are cut from the sheet. I prefer it because it doesn't bleed through the paper like a Sharpie or Magic Marker does. I got mine at Micheals Art Store, but other places carry them including the large office supply places. Others prefer watercolors and water color pencils for the same task. Edge coloring is almost a necessity with most of these kits to avoid having the white edges show up on the model.

Good luck and show us some pictures of your handiwork, we all live for pictures here. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Welcome Carol! As to your question, the method of scoring varies. Like Jay, many people use knitting needles and even dried up ball point pens. I know some folks buy tools from scrap booking stores that are meant to score or crease heavy stock. Personally, I use the back side of an old and dull Xacto knife. It does sometimes go through to actually cut, but it's not too bad.

Basically, it comes down to what you have on hand, or what you're willing to spend. I hope this helps.

P.S. Be sure to show some pictures of your builds. We love to see every bodies stuff, good or bad! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

My favorite for scoring is a simple dead ballpoint pen

Recently finished: Moving and getting set up
In progress: Zepellin Staaken (self design)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:17 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Fine tip embossing tools are what I use; they make a narrower score than a dead ballpoint, although they have to be rotated slightly when drawn down the paper to avoid tearing it. I buy them a dozen at a time at crafts stores (they're about $2 apiece) because their tips are so fine they bend with extended use and I have to chuck them after awhile.

Or, before cutting a piece free from the page, you can also score the backside of the part by, first, poking two pinholes in the page just beyond each end of the scoring line (so as not to mar the piece itself), then flipping the page over and scoring from pinhole to pinhole. That way, even if using a knife to score, the exposed white will be in the model's interior and invisible. This method should be usd in any case when scoring the stringer lines of fabric covered fuselages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:23 pm 
Botbuster Master

i use a seam ripper....it works fairly well.... :D :D :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:01 am 
Paper Model CINC

Welcome Carol :D. I use a very old and very blunt X-acto knife blade and handle to score lines. In fact, I made the blade even blunter by filing the edge down! I find this gives a very precise line, and I don't have to change my technique from scoring to cutting. Like airportkid, I also score from the back side of a part, using two pin holes as guides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:40 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Wow! Thanks for all good info everybody, I have almost every tool
mentioned laying around here and there. I will post pics.