Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: FREE J3 PIPER CUB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:44 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Well, this is my first Post and also my first attempt at Paper Modelling. I ran into several problems while trying to put together the Free J3 Piper Cub. My question is about the Wing...Are the edges supposed to be rounded......front & back edges. I did score them making two faces.....from looking at Models of this same Plane by other Modelers it looks like the wings are nice and rounded. How do I get that affect? Perhaps I should have started with an easier project? Any guidance would be helpful. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:37 pm 

Last edited by durable medical equipment on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Modelling problem
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:15 am 
FG Tissue Paper

Thanks Jim for your input. It was helpful. Seems like I read that in one of the Tuts but had forgotten. I just assumed since they had the score lines there that I should score them. Not to worry, I won't give up. I think modelling with paper will prove to be a fascinating hoby. I am retired now so can give it lots of time. I printed the J3 on typing paper in B&W....trying to save my Photo Paper and Color Ink until I tested the waters. I see now that was a mistake also...MUCH too flimsy. Back to the drawing board.....Thanks again Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:52 am 
Botbuster Master

The first model plane i built was the MIG 15 from paper paradise....a very simple but nice build....it was the one that got me hooked....lol but now i am mostly an FG builder..... :)

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:18 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Do yourself a favor and buy some 67 or 110 pound cardstock. I know some people do buid using just regular paper, but I can't. I think you will find white cardstock to be the way to go. I've never used Photopaper- you mean the glossy kind? It might be interesting to try, but off hand I would think it would be kinda "springy" and hard to work with. Regular cardstock takes and holds a fold quite well.

If you are a fanatic like me, you will also go out and buy a set of Sharpie permenant ink markers. They are great for touching up parts that otherwise would be white (I like to ink in the edges). Just be warned that although 67 pound paper is generally easyer to work with than 110, it also tends to let Sharpie makers bleed through the paper.

Hey! the paper paradise MIG was my first too! I liked the fact that it came with a set of instructions that included a list of equipment I would need.

Post subject: J3 CUB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:29 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Thanks for the suggestions people. I'll prob. be bugging you people to death before I get settled in. Tim, question for ya.....Where can I find that Mig? That's what I really need.....something with instructions, until I get the hang of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:31 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

right here:

http://www.paperparadise.com/free/mig15.cfm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:45 pm 

Last edited by durable medical equipment on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:46 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Hm...I thought there was more info that came with that Mig.

Well, you cant go wrong with Robs Tips for Beginners:

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/fgmodels/M ... s/tips.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:55 pm 

Last edited by durable medical equipment on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:01 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Right, but I thought it also came with a handy list of essential tools, like a cork-backed metal ruler, a "dead" pen, and an exacto knife with a New blade. I dont see that in the instructions. Perhaps I was thinking of another model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:07 pm 
Botbuster Master

I really preferr 110 card stock.....i have some 67....but i dont use it much :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject: J3 CUB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:20 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Thank you one & all for the good advice and info. I'm not going to quit on the J3 Cub. I'm going to reprint it on better Paper. I got lots of HP photo Paper but I don't think (I may be wrong) it tells me what weight it is? Anyway I KNOW it is heavier than typing paper LOL!! I was going to try & use the side of the paper that has a matte finish? Turn the shiny side inside? Soon as I'm finished with the Cub I'll be dying to try that MIG. Seems like there might be enough instruction for even an 'ol geezer like me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Howzit

Another welcome. When I started out in paper models a couple of years ago, I also built the freebie piper cub. I built it on regular paper and it fell apart pretty quickly. I'm not a brilliant builder, I attempt more than what I actually finish and display but eventually my results are quite nice. Patience is the key word in this hobby. Keep it up and you'll do just fine.

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:59 pm 
FG Origami Master

Hi, paperless

Welcome aboard.

I don't think that I'd bother with photo paper, backside or front side. Print on the front and the ink tends to flake off. I question the "take" of the glue on the photo-print side. Try it first, 'cause it would be a shame to have the glue pop loose after you finish a model. Wally-world's cardstock is cheap, as is Office Depot's.

And before you buy a big set of colored markers, check how many you might use. Think about an art store (or art section in a craft store) for colored markers that you will actually use (like those from PrismaColor). Crayola markers don't come in olive drab! I'll bet you can get an almost exact match for Piper Cub yellow.

Have fun, 'cause that's what it's all about. :D

Bob