Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Controller Has 737 In His Garage (Sort Of)
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 am 
Paper Model Overlord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7APOJDJM2iM

Air traffic controller and private pilot James Price has never flown a jet, but he has logged plenty of time in the cockpit of an actual 737 that he converted into a flight simulator and keeps in his garage. Price had already been working on earlier versions of his simulator when a life change and similarly motivated friend led him to pursue his pastime with renewed vigor. Price told the Mercury News that on the advice of friend Matt Ford (who had already hauled home his own 737 cockpit), he visited a boneyard in Ardmore, Okla. There, Price found and purchased a 2,500-pound 737 cockpit shell of his own for $1,500. He then brought it to a hangar at Livermore Municipal Airport, in California, where he got to work. It's come a long way since then. Price now estimates his total dollar investment at close to $150,000.
Price incorporated into the shell the many genuine parts he'd accumulated since starting down this road in 1994. And then he purchased additional authentic parts. His simulator now includes the seats, controls, instruments and lights from an actual Boeing 737. The project came home from the hangar on the back of a hired semi-truck in 2009. Price took four feet off of the nose and removed some portion of the garage door to fit it inside. The internal realism is augmented with external visuals provided by three projection screens that pull down to surround the cockpit. The projectors incorporate terrain scenery for the entire world and can adjust to present near real-time weather gathered from the internet. His system allows him to fly simulated engine failures and fires or land with blown tires all while bathing in the tactile feel and even the smell of real cockpit components. Price sees the simulator as an ongoing project and expects to continue to improve on it as he's able.

Post subject: Re: Controller Has 737 In His Garage (Sort Of)
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:04 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That's awesome! That kind of what I pretend to do when I'm in the planes at the museum here.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:37 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Willy, where is your museum? Does it have a web site? I love doing the virtue tours of museum where you can walk around or have the 360 degree views of cockpits. Maybe I should post a few that I have here on our forum. Do you think that would be ok?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:42 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

John,
I work part time at the Strategic Air and Space Museum in Ashland, Nebraska. It used to be based at Offutt AFB and was called the SAC museum.

Unfortunately, we don't have a virtual tour yet. But there is a listing of the planes with individual photos of each on the website
www.sasmuseum.com

The National Museum for the USAF in Dayton, OH is awesome, and they have a great virtual tour!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:02 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Willy, there is no way I could ever work there, part time, full time or what ever. All my time would be spent lifting my jaw up off the floor. What a lucky person you are. The B-58A, A-26B, B-47E to name only too few. That’s not a museum, that’s Hallowed Ground. The A and B-26’s are my all time favorites. I would stop every thing I am doing to get my hands of a card stock model of them. The group of guy(old buffalo farts)I fly with 4 or 5 times a week for2 hours fly A-20 missions. I know it’s only a PC flight sim but it’s a hoot and a half tome. The 26’s are being build for the sim, not sure when they will be done. Trying to get all the 50’s to rotate forward and go do some trailing up north. It’s going to be a wild time. They guys have forgotten more then I’ll ever know about WWII and airplanes. One of them, Skybolt it a old time modeler in working on a Ford Tri motor. He just did the Bismarck in card stock. He said I could post his models. Maybe I will. What I would give to work in a place like that. I can tell you one thing, not much work would get done but a lot of drooling would. Just the idea of being that close to a Hustler would unscrew my lid. You lucky guy you. waddy

PS-whew I get the time I will be going back to have a long look at your place of work. WOW!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:15 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

If you're ever coming through Omaha/Lincoln, NE, let me know. The museum is right off of I-80. I'll give you a tour. Heck, that goes for EVERYONE!!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:00 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

That offer of yours about that tour sounds real temping but the truth be known I don’t travel much any more. My doctor has warned me about flying. I’m pretty much grounded. But all the same, thank you very much. I at one time for several years had a job at S.F. Int. Airport. Man that was a busy place. I was a ramp/operations agent. From the time the aircraft was on the ground till the time it took off again, that plane was my responsibility. Passenger de-boarding and so on. It was a cool job. I got to be outside for the mose part right up close to L-188, 727 and 373, Hell I would have worked for free if they would have asked. Being right there watch those huge planes jump into the air. Wow!!! But that was long ago and many lives back. Any time you feel like post some photos of the giants, I’d love to see them. All of them. john