Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hello Pals! Introduction
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:12 am 
FG Cutter

Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I'm a new paper modeler who just joined the forums and got a trial Magic Key to check this all out.

To be honest, I found Fiddlers Green several years ago and printed off the Piper Cub and Gee Bee models but I left them neglected in a file cabinet until now! :(

I got a hankering recently to try modeling again and purchased a couple of plastic kits like I did from my youth. They went together ok, but I'm a freaky OCD perfectionist who is also a tight-wad :P I'd had airbrushed them with craft acrylics and Future with good, but less than stellar results. Out of frustration, I decided to take a break and put together a fun little "Haunted Skool" paper model from another website and had so much fun doing it, that I'm a convert to paper modeling now!
After the "Skool" I went straight to the file cabinet for my FG Piper Cub and had a great time building that with the clear packing tape tips for the windows and canopy. It was much more of a challenge than I anticipated, but I'm happy with the results for a first model and look forward to a lot more. My goal is to complete an entire WWI aircraft collection, but I love all sorts of different models. I'm currently cutting up the Gee Bee for assembly but eventually want to try printing off some the black and white models and have a go at airbrushing them. (haven't quite figured out how to go about that yet) I also still need to get sign up for web hosting of my pics so I can share them here but I'll get that done soon.

Thanks to all who contribute here! I really appreciate how Chip and the team have set up the website and I have just as much fun perusing the model pages and reading all the tidbits as I do assembling them. It's obvious how much care and thought go into each models page layout and that's a big part of what makes this so much fun!!!

Post subject: Re: Hello Pals! Introduction
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 pm 
FG Origami Master

You don't need to airbrush the models, you can load them into a paint program (of some sort) hopefully that uses layers and paint them there. All you have to do with the black and white printouts is use a program like Corel Draw or Gimp (FREE) and take out the white and save the black lines and such as a separate layer. Then use a paint program to doll up the model anyway you want to, that is where the layers come in handy, cause you don't screw up the basic model lines.

You can see some examples of this in the "repaints" section of the forum, or the "look what I built" section. I have a few that I have repainted in there and many other members do also.

I like you am rather too fussy for my own good and found that paper modelling was a good way to scratch that itch, lol.

Have fun and welcome to the madness.

Beard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:51 pm 
FG Cutter

Thanks for the reply Burning Beard. I'm certain I will try that sometime. For now, I'm just intrigued to see how well airbrushing does and it's something I really enjoy doing. It will certainly take care of those pesky cut lines without pencils or watercolors etc. :) Right now I need to concentrate on the clear canopy technique since it's getting the better of me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:10 pm 
FG Origami Master

For clear windscreens and easily shaped canopies I use transparency film (for overhead printers). If it is for ink jet I have found that you can wash off the frosty side with water and it is perfectly clear. Anyhoo, you can cut it to shape then use a heat source, I use the wife's hairdryer, to make it pliable enough to shape. It will pretty much hold the shape and you can glue the canopy frames to it. It works better for me than the wrapping tape system.

Beard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:06 pm 
FG Cutter

sweet mother that's a great idea! I super appreciate that one. I'm gonna give it a shot later tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:01 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I'm glad you've been bit by the bug. I also used to do plastic, but got sick of the high cost and inconsistent quality. For the airbrushing, I would maybe try an enamel if possible. The less water content of your paint the better, so as to avoid warping of the paper (the same applies for glues). I have tried using Tamiya acrylic on card stock, and it worked really well with no warping, but I used many coasts of very light paint just in case.

Good luck, and post some pictures!

BTW- you can upload pictures directly to your posts in the forum now, they just need to be under a certain size. What that is escapes me right now though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:43 pm 
FG Cutter

Ok, yup I see the file attachment section now. I'll take some pics of the Piper and the Gee Bee will be finished tomorrow. I think I can still airbrush the craft acrylics. I've been thinning with Windex and have gotten the mist down to where its essentially like painting with powder, it's dry when it hits. I don't expect any issues with that, but I do think a coat of Future may be tricky.

BTW.... Why does Chip hate me? I mean I know we're supposed we're sposed to be "Model'n Pals" but seriously, the Gee Bee was a total pain to get together!! I'm hoping someone will pipe in and tell me it's one of the more difficult models because I had a hell of a time messing with it.

I did try the trick Burning Beard suggested, but it seemed VERY difficult to get right. I gave up using transparencies and tried the same trick using a clear 2 liter soda bottle but had the same results. After several prints, I managed to get a packing tape canopy on, but bloody hell it doesn't want to stick with Elmer's white glue. The most trouble I had was with getting glue on my fingers and touching the white parts of the airframe and it left unsightly brown marks here and there that will not come off. GRRRRRR :evil: Still having fun though. Just a learning phase.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

The tricky part about the GeeBee is its size. For me, getting the tail to roll up into a tiny cone-like shape was the hardest part next to the wheel pants. The transparency film trick usually doesn't work too well for tiny little canopies like the GeeBee unless you heat it. I've done a few where I built the paper canopy and filled it with Sculpey clay. I then heated a piece of transparency film or scrap plastic bubble packaging and then mashed down over the hardened clay mold of the canopy. You can see how I did that on my build thread "Willygoat's Builds"- page 27 in the Airplane build section.

Here's the link
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1220&start=390

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:28 am 
FG Origami Master

That's a neat trick with the sculpy, never thought of using that. The transparencies are a little hard to work with but the glue (Aleen's Turbo Tacky Glue) seems to work better with it. I've wanted to try the stickies but never got around to it.

By the way the turbo tacky glue is easy to remove when you get a little to much. You can rub it off the printed surface after it dries and coves off transparencies easily also. Oddly though it has a tendency to turn grey ink jet printer areas pink when you get an overage on it.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:46 am 
FG Cutter

Attachment:
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG [ 148.1 KiB | Viewed 9219 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG [ 142.33 KiB | Viewed 9219 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG [ 147.54 KiB | Viewed 9219 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 am 
FG Cutter

Well.... Hmmm.... You can see what a mess I've made. This is much harder than I thought. I have a lot of respect for those of you who pull this off to the degree you do. The Gee Bee was tough and the more I tried to "fix" it the worse it got. It started with some glue smudges, then I got some runs when I tried to watercolor my edges. As for the canopy, I just had to settle on this one. I do have some sculpey in the house so I can try to make a mold like you mention next time it comes up. That seems more plausible than just trying to heat and form with my fat fumbling phalanges! :) I can deal with all this, but learning to NOT get glue on my fingers when trying to hold a part together and touching another part of the airframe is going to be real tough for me. FWIW, both models do have a light of Future on them (after they were already built) and that went just fine although maybe it did contribute to messing with my watercolors a bit. I cut some corners as you can see :D

Attachment:
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG [ 154.04 KiB | Viewed 9219 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG [ 155.4 KiB | Viewed 9219 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:16 pm 
FG Origami Master

Those are pretty good, you should see some of my very first attempts. A trick a lot of guys use, myself included is to spray the sheets with clear (I use krylon) before you do any cutting, which helps to keep the water soluble ink from migrating when you glue them. Like I said in an earlier post, I use Aleen's turbo tacky glue, it grabs a lot faster than the Elmer's, but you don't have a lot of time to re-position a piece if you put it in the wrong place. Also, Super glue painted on little fiddly parts make them almost like plastic in strength, for this I use the super glue with the brush.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:05 pm 
FG Cutter

Thanks Beard. The Fokker DVII on 110# is on the table now. 110 is a bit stiff for my liking on this particular model. The Cub was also done on 110 and the Gee Bee on 64#. For the Fokker I did spray my sheet first with Future. I was worried that it might crack or flake with the scoring and cutting but I haven't noticed any difference so far at all. The lower wing is on and the top is formed. So far, no glue smudges or runs. It's too soon to tell if I'm just more careful or if the Future is helping with that aspect. I've taken to applying most glue with a toothpick instead of a brush to help alleviate some "wetness" on the model. I'm rubbing a pencil lead across my edges on this one instead of watercolors or a sharpie which so far, seems to be a vast improvement. When I'm all done I'm gonna hit it with another couple coats of Future. I don't want gloss, just color enhancement.

I've never tried Aleen's, but I know a lot of people here like it. The Elmer's seems to work the same way if I have the patience to apply a bit and let it set up a while before pressing my pieces together.

Did anyone notice the gear is backwards on the Cub? I'm just testing you. HA!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:56 pm 
FG Origami Master

Didn't notice that but I did notice it wasn't flying anywhere without and engine ;). I did a repaint of a DVII which is in the "look what I built" section. My wife do love snakes.... I don't know how you go about applying Future, Krylon is just easy and available, and in Upstate California you can spray two coats in the summer and the first page is dry by the time you finish spraying the last page.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:17 pm 
FG Cutter

Yes I saw that repaint and it's awesome just like all your models. I'm taking a lot of tips from you and trying the floral wire as well. Looks like I need to make another DVII though due to some more mistakes.

The Cub engine was ridiculously oversize, no way to stuff it in the cowl. I tried to cut it down but it was too small then. Oops again.