Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: First Up.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Howdy, I've been eye the models for a while and thought maybe I should get started. I've also been passing around the link for Fidderlersgreen to a bunch of buddies trying to get them interested. I know of at least one. I live in Calif on the coast near S.F.over looking the Pacific. I'm a air plane nut from way back. Been flying through the computer with other friends almost every night. WW II and Korea with Viet Nam not that far off. It's a hoot. I guess for now that's enough of me.

Post subject: Re: First Up.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:09 pm 
FG Origami Master

Welcome to the fold, Wad Cutter!

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." - Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:26 am 
Botbuster Master

Welcome Wad Cutter....I am glad I was able to get things fixed for you....enjoy yourself !!!!!!!!!

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:16 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Welcome to the group. I think I can say that we all look forward to seeing your work. We like pictures a lot :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:09 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I might be a while before you see any photos. I'm just getting started. If and when I will be happy to post a few. I was wondering what you gus use for a cutter board? Another question is do you buy your supplies from a hobby store, craft store or Staples? I saw a video where one person built the B-17 and made it into sn electric R/C with 4 electric engines. I didn't know it was possible. Thanks for any help you can offer. waddy/john

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I get all my supplies from Walmart. For a cutting mat, I use a self healing mat I got in the Walmart Craft section, cardstock, glue, knife blades and printer ink all come from Walmart too.

Recently finished: Moving and getting set up
In progress: Zepellin Staaken (self design)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 am 
Paper Model Overlord

My nearest Walmart is across the S.F. bay from where I live and about 50 miles away. A friend told me he got most of his supplies from Staples. There might be a craft shop in a mall close by. Someone suggested a hobby shot but then again the nearest one is miles away. I can but these items in line but I would like to see and handle what I'm buying first. The card papter used, I see it is suggested using 110 but is there different grades? Again, thank you for any help you can offer. wc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:44 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Most of the FG models work in either 110 pound or 65/67 pound stock. The smaller models or part would be best with the 65/67 pound. The larger models like the bombers collection are best using 110 for the fuselage and parts that need reinforced. Wings and other pieces can be done in 65/67 pound. I found doing that make the wings lighter weight and less prone to sagging.

Staples would be an okay place to get your supplies. I don't know if they have the glues that work best, but they would for sure have the paper, and most likely the knives and cutting mats. I know the local Office Max has all of the cutting tools that I use.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:55 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

The Piper Cub will be my first try at this. I’m looking forward to going out with my son on Saturday to pick up supplies. I never thought of Office Max and I think there is one close to where I live. Thanks for that suggestion. Good idea. Is there anything special I sould be looking for in paper for it? I understand the 11o and 65/67 pound but what about color of the paper and is there anything else about the paper?
I’m trying to read as much about this before I buy anything. I have read there are a lot of different glues but I don’t know what kind for the Piper Cub. Elmer's Glue-All which I have seen around in stores. Is there a different kind or are they all the same? I have never heard of Aleenes’s clue before. And what is UHU? When I first started looking into this hobby I never thought there was so much to it. I found a few Youtubes on it. I am trying not to over think this. I’m open to all the help, advise and pointers you guys might have. Thanks again guy. Paper models, who would have ever thought of it? wc

PS - If I’m not to ashamed of it I’ll post a photo when she done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:19 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

As far as paper, maybe start with just the plain white stock. If you can get "bright White" it'll make the printed colors pop a bit. Once you get comfortable, you can experiment with using colored stock to get different effects.

Aleene's Tacky glue come in a few different "flavors": Gold bottle is the standard. it's like ELmers that has sat for a while. I like the silver bottled "Quick Dry" and the purple bottle "Fast Set" (I think). The silver is what I use for 95% of all of my building.