Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Piper Cub J3 Build
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:45 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I was wondering if anyone has built the FG-Piper Cub J3 model. I am not about to try for my 6th time. I have seen willy's Grasshopper Piper L-4 model. That is one of the best models I have ever seen which is a close build to the Cub. I'm brad new to card stock model building with a lot to learn and maybe this wasn't the best aircraft to start my hobby life off on. I could use any tips any of you might have. Thank you. wad cutter, confused and in the dark circling around waiting for the fog to clear. out

Post subject: Re: Piper Cub J3 Build
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I thought you were making good progress on the Cub. Is there one specific problem area or are you hitting numerous problems?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:23 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I tried to glue in the windows and slammed into a problem. There isn't enough space to fit the window frame in. I'm at a in-pass I guess they call it.
Also there is small space between the trailing wing and fuselage. The glue smeared when I tried installing the window.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:10 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I think all those problems could be resolved by attaching the wings AFTER everything else is accomplished. The wing root would then fit OVER the upper rim of the window framing, instead of trying to fit the window beneath the wing. Also, the glue smearing may have occurred due to impeded access by the wing. Keeping the wing off until last would also leave the cockpit interior still accessible for any final adjustments/additions. Obviously, the top windows leaf wouldn't get glued down until the wings were on. Finally, gaps, such as the space between trailing edge & fuselage can be covered with a small pieces of scrap cut to shape and put into place with tweezers. Airplanes have all kinds of access panels and fairings, especially at junctures, so a bit of scrap covering a gap would look like an access panel rather than a mistake, especially if you put a few dots for screws around its edges.

Also, since the Cub is strut braced, you can cut away and discard all the wing center section underside areas, including the glue tabs on the fuselage, and attach the wing by its center section upper surface only where it joins the fuselage. The struts will support the rest of the wing. This will make the wing/fuselage juncture considerably more forgiving (and allow it to slide over the window framing instead of squash down on top of it). To make the wing/fuselage joint super strong yet simple, make up a spine of about 4 laminations of ceral box cardboard that glues inside the aft fuselage top crease that runs from the wing to the vertical fin, with the spine sticking forward beyond where the wing trailing edge is about half the wing's width. With center section upper piece glued onto that bit of spine, the wing wouldn't even need struts (except for dihedral).

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Actually that helps a lot. That was as close as I gave gotten in 6 times and it just made me sick when that happened. I haven’t given up on her yet. Too stupid to stop now I guess. Already printed it out again. This weekend construction start. I’m learning every time. Sooner or later she will be on display. Thank you airportkid. Much thanks. Next time I’ll double check on the clearance first. I wasn’t looking at that area when I did the dry fit and I’ll glue the frame and not the fuselage. That was my biggest mistake. Each time I can where I screwed up and try to correct that next time around. Again, thank you for your input. wc