Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: What in Sam Hill is that thing?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

OK guys, we'll use this thread to solve the greatest mysteries of aircraft and model building: What is that thingie, and what does it do?

Just as Possm suggested, post your question, and I'll add it to this first page. It is highly recommended you include a picture, or at least a simple drawing of the piece in question.

Any answers will be added as well.

I'm going to assume some basic knowledge of aircraft form and function, i.e:

-The long flat things sticking out the sides of the plane are the wings.

-The spinny things attached to various parts of the plane are the engines,

-Some have things called propellors, which are really small wings that spin really fast. Some don't.

-The skinny things with round things on the end that stuck out the bottom are the landing gear. It is recommended you use them while the plane is on the ground
-----------------QUESTIONS---------------------------

Q-Tell me, what is the squidgy organic bit strapped into that transparent section of the aircraft and what is it's function? -Lepercan

A-That squidgy organic bit is often called the pilot. Some aircraft carry 1, while others carry hundreds, in a subcategory known as passengers.
There is a disturbing trend in many militaries to eliminate the pilot completely, thus eliminating the true purpose of the aircraft: to get the pilot off the ground.

Recently finished: Moving and getting set up
In progress: Zepellin Staaken (self design)

Last edited by Azguy on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am 
Paper Model CINC

Great!
Tell me, what is the squidgy organic bit strapped into that transparent section of the aircraft and what is it's function? :lol:
Lep

Seriously, thank you, Aaron. I'm sure we will all use this thread and, hopefully, make input from time to time.
Me

Currently working on: FG Wippet 1/72
Recently Completed: FG FT-17 Dio 1/38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am 
Botbuster Master

i like it i like it....great idea....one place a person mite get pictures is off the models they may be workin on :D :D :D :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Ahh..! Our first question and answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:22 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I don't know if it can be done but I suggest when the actual Q/A posts start to show up in here they be moved to the top of the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:37 am 
Botbuster Master

the thingy do that had me puzzled for a long time was the pitot tube :)

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Admin

What I plan on doing is putting all questions and answere into the first post. I'm still debating about deleting the question post, because sometimes that generates some interesting discussion, and deleting it might break the flow. Also. I'll leave it up for a few days anyway to generate as many answers as possible, then move it.

possm_23 wrote:
the thingy do that had me puzzled for a long time was the pitot tube :)

So...is this an official question?

If yes: The pitot tube is part of the airspeed measuring system. Air is forced into it at pressure according to the airspeed of the aircraft. The computer takes that measurement and compares it with air pressure taken from the static port, a hole somewhere on the side of the aircraft that measures just the non moving air pressure (It's positioned in a place and way that moving air can't get inside it.) The difference between the two measurements is the airspeed.

if no: The pitot tube is used in case of a crash with fire. You simply break it off, stick on a marshmallow or hotdog depending on your preferences, and toast away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:55 am 
Paper Model CINC

This is going to be fun. Still think we need a diagram, though.

Currently working on: FG Wippet 1/72
Recently Completed: FG FT-17 Dio 1/38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Azguy wrote:
... the computer takes that measurement and compares it ...

This may happen with large aircraft, where the computer adds in temperature, humidity, pressure altitude and Angle of Attach to compute a direct reading of "calibrated" airspeed, but most aircraft don't employ a computer. Instead, a simple diaphragm attached to the airspeed needle in the instrument casing separates two chambers, one filled with ram air, the other with static air. The pressure differential between the two chambers flexes the diaphragm, which in turn rotates the needle, and the resultant reading is "Indicated" airspeed, which throughout most flight regimes is within a small enough percentage of true airspeed to be a useful indication of "attitude" or "angle of attack".

Airspeed is not a useful gauge of groundspeed: that can only be determined by timing the passage between two points of known distance, since winds aloft can significantly reduce or increase speed over the ground. Airspeed is instead, especially in light aircraft, used as an indirect indication of "attitude", AKA "angle of attack", since low airspeed is closely correlated with high angles of attack. The airspeed indicator is therefore mostly ignored until setting up the landing approach, where target airspeeds are used to establish the proper descent rate, and to prevent the airplane from being inadvertantly slowed to the point of stall.

Airspeed is of no use to establish cruise setting, as engine power is the determinant for cruise - the airspeed winds up being whatever it is once the desired cruise power is set (that is, a pilot does not adjust engine power to reach a target cruise airspeed, instead power is adjusted to meet criteria of fuel consumption, engine longevity, and the airspeed that results is the cruise airspeed for that flight. Aircraft weight will affect the resultant airspeed at any given power setting - and as the airplane burns off fuel it will slowly gain a knot or two of increased airspeed).

Back to the pitot tube: except for very light, slow aircraft, pitot tubes are extended outward so as to be clear of the compressed boundary air (or "bow wave") of the moving aircraft, and thereby pick up their ram air undisturbed by the aircraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

And thus the purpose for this thread: I knew none of that.

Knowing this, I now have to go find the other half of the battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:49 am 
FG Folder

Q: On some racing planes, what are all of those holes for in the nose section for..? In particular, the Ike/Mike...what's the reason and/or purpose for the strange(but cool-looking)nose..? Just wondering as the Ike/Mike is on my workboard at this moment. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:56 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Do you mean the ones all around the back of the engine area? If so, I think those are cooling vents. The holes along the bottom of the engine are the exhaust. Most racers had inline engines that were much more aerodynamic than a radial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:32 am 
FG Folder

I am refering to the the holes just in the nose section Below the prop. There's a sorta half-square-half-round one and a few across the top above the prop too. They are just odd looking and only the racers seem to use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:03 am 
Paper Model CINC

I'll make a guess :roll: To allow air flow over the engine for cooling and the bottom one is used to cool the oil or water. :?: Maybe :?

Just finished:FG's Large Hawker Typhoon

http://satellitedoctor.mysite.com/
http://flybirdman.4t.com/
Spoke wheel Tutorial
http://flybirdman.4t.com/box_widget.html

We havin fun yet?[b][/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:29 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

That was what I was figuring Bob. Only makes sense. The inline had to have a separate oil cooler radiator, and air intakes.